Our story; the prediagnosis, diagnosis, hospitalization and daily life with type 1 diabetes.

Click here for our prediagnosis/diagnosis Story

Type 2 diabetes is (in a nutshell) insulin resistence. The body makes the insulin, but the receptors on the cells are impaired at taking it in, therefore sugar accumulates in the blood. Can usually be reversed with diet and exercise. There are pills that increase insulin sensitivity.

TYPE 1 DIABETES IS AN AUTO-IMMUNE DISEASE for which there is no prevention or cure (yet!). The body's own immune system destroys the beta cells in the pancreas which produce insulin. As insulin production ceases, sugar accumulates to extremely dangerous levels. Insulin injections MUST be given at each meal in order for food to be used. Without insulin, the person with type 1 diabetes would starve to death in a short time. Type 1 diabetes cannot be outgrown. It cannot be reversed by diet and exercise.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Glucagon is Our Friend

Saturday started off with a BANG! I've never been so scared in my life.

I had just jumped in the shower and barely gotten wet when Todd opened the door and handed me the phone saying it was one of my best friends (we'll call her "A" for anonymity purposes) and an emergency.

A was crying and her voice was shaking and she told me she had just given her sister (we'll call her "L") a glucagon shot because she was so low she was having seizures.

My heart sank, I went numb. I hung up and threw on sweats and drove over (she's only 2 streets away, so it only took like a minute).

When I got there, the whole family was gathered around L who was sitting on the couch looking totally zombied...glassy eyed, confused. It was heartbreaking. I leaned in to her and asked her if she knew who I was. She said no and started crying. So then all of us were crying. It was so traumatic.

I had A check L's sugar and she was coming up nicely...she was well into the safe range, but her mind wasn't quite back yet. She didn't know her little niece and nephew. She couldn't remember her doctor's name or how much insulin she had on board.

It took a full hour for L to come back fully. By then, she could remember pretty much everything and she was just plain tired. I felt so bad for her.

A, my friend--you handled that SO WELL! I am so proud of you. I know how scary that was and you did everything right! YOU ROCK! I'm so glad this happened at your house and not when L was home alone.

Since then, I've had my eye on Allie's glucagon kit every second. I've practically glued it to her body. You just never know.

1 comment:

Aimes said...

NO YOU ARE THE BEST!!! I don't know what I would have done without you this past year, thank you a mazillion bazillion times over. Amen to that title!!! HUGS and Kisses galore. Aimes